Tuesday 17 December 2013

For Everyone a Community

If, in real life, you can't find someone who shares a particular experience, interest, or hobby with you there is a very high likelihood you will find them on the internet.  And most likely you won't find only one person, but there probably already exists a community of people centered around that particular experience, interest, or hobby.

As I have spent nearly four years as a stay-at-home parent, I have no shortage of parent friends to commiserate with, seek advice from, encourage, get together with, or bounce ideas off of.  But as I have spent nearly four years as a stay-at-home parent, I have come to value my afternoon computer time as a window into other communities.  Actually, not just a window but a doorway.  I can step in and engage with others who have something in common with me.

When I started seeking some community online, I initially tended toward parents (mommy blogs, babywearing forums, parenting tips and articles), but quickly discovered that I don't have a strong need for that as that is the entire rest of my daytime life.

Then I stumbled upon a community of name-lovers and name-nerds.  I'd been visiting a website, poking around at names, meanings, and popularities for a while, but suddenly discovered the message boards and I was hooked.  I've been actively involved now for a few years and love it.  I nerdily visit every day to see what names other members are thinking about, wondering about, asking opinions on, or trying to fashion into combos.  I've learned the lingo of name-nerds and been around long enough to recognize members and even remember some of their name preferences or bits about their life.  It's fun.  I find it very cool that while finding a community of people who love names in my city and getting them together to discuss names would be difficult and time-consuming, the internet makes it just a few clicks away.  It might seem a bit impersonal, but it is a community.  And I'm glad I have it.

Back in my "real life" I've also come to value my monthly drum circles.  I joined a drum circle about 3 years ago and, while I have very little in common with most of the other drummers, we share rhythm and hand drums as a common interest.  This one would more difficult to enjoy as an online community.

In any case, I don't take either of these things for granted.  They are small and most people in my life don't even know about them.  They represent only bits and pieces of my interests, but I would feel like something was missing if I didn't have them.  Those are bits and pieces of myself that make me me, outside of being a mom, and I'm thankful to be able to share them with people who understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment